Alocasia, also called elephant’s ear, is a prolific and striking plant hardy in USDA zones 8b through 11.It requires very little maintenance once it gets going, and it can grow to impressive size, making it ideal for an attention grabbing spot in the garden or a pot. This aroid potting mix is ideal, but house plant mix with some added bark, coir, and perlite will work pretty well. ◙ Learn how to water your Alocasia. I bought it for £2.99 because it was growing horizontally out of the pot, but it was doing well – it put out a new leaf and then bloomed. ), commonly called Elephant's ear, are frost-tender perennials with large flat leaves. This isn’t a plant you can simply forget about but, if you feed and water it regularly, it’ll give you an astonishing amount of new growth in return. The new growth will be beautiful too. Then, tragedy struck. I have a bit of a soft spot for Alocasia. Their ideal temperature range is 65°F to 80°F (18°C – 27°C) for fast, vibrant growth. It's important to check the soil of alocasias frequently because they like moist substrate. Parrys are our bonus rewards system. I left it in my trusty tray of water to bottom water, and it fell over (some would say my boyfriend knocked it over, but he felt so bad we’re going with the ‘it fell over’ line, though the fact I mentioned it here suggests I’m feeling some residual animosity). $39.95. I’ve actually never had a pest problem *TOUCH WOOD* with any of my Alocasia. On the plus side, the plant don’t actually seem to be that bothered. This plant tries hard to please the careful gardener. Alocasia 'Stingray' Regular price $ 29.99 Sale. Indoors, grow in filtered light. Alocasia macrorrhiza Stingray Care & Info Guide Light: Thrives best in well lit, bright conditions, however direct sunlight will scorch the leaves. winding through the air. Do not overwater. Commentdocument.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "ad4df08d34336b25ab1153bf61355927" );document.getElementById("f69958769b").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. If any plant is going to get root burn, it’ll probably be your most expensive alocasia. This unusual plant is a fast growing Alocasia … The unique inward curving leaves on long, graceful stems resemble that of a gliding stingray. Watering Water using room temperature water, in smaller … Alocasia 'Stingray' Regular price $ 29.99 Sale. They’ve known to get mealybugs, scale, aphids, and spider mites. Alocasia like to have humidity levels of at least 60%, but would prefer 70% in a perfect world. This post may contain affiliate links. Temperature: Needs to be kept warm, ideally between 18-22°C. Whilst it is true that Alocasia can drop all their leaves in winter, only to grow new leaves again in the winter, it isn’t a done deal. Like, the top fell off. by Macrocentra: Jul 21, 2020 12:11 PM: 0: ID on this beauty, please? When the plant is actively growing during the warmer months, it needs a bit more food and water. The Alocasia Stingray likes a luminous spot, but not in direct sunlight. Larger plants, generally those that ship in 8″ pots or with totems, will be topped to 36″ or 48″ overall, depending on the variety, if necessary to facilitate shipping. Alocasia have a dormant period where leaves will … WATER. Alocasia Stingray. I recently overwatered it (left it overnight in my bottom watering tray IN WINTER) and most of the leaves yellowed. Just save yourself the bother and get a dragon scale. Dust them regularly – I spray mine with a solution of dish soap, neem oil, and water, and then wipe them with a cloth. Ensure the plant is kept in warm humid conditions (above 16°C ), water regularly during the growing season and feed with fertiliser every 2 to 3 weeks. Water: Keep the compost moist with warm water. 'Stingray' ‘Stingray’ is the elephant’s ear to acquire if you’re after one-of-a-kind foliage. Divide the rhizomes, separate offsets, or root stem cuttings in … As the water evaporates around the plant, it creates the much-needed humidity. An excellent container plant for the patio Browse pictures and read growth / cultivation information about Alocasia, Upright Elephant Ear (Alocasia ) 'Stingray' supplied by member gardeners in the PlantFiles database at Dave's Garden. In winter, I let them dry out a little more. I had an alocasia stingray (one of my faves, literally drove so far to pick one up lol) that was in soil. When your plant’s soil is evenly damp, drain the sink/tub and allow the plant to rest while it drains thoroughly. Once the plant is in its dormant period (in the late fall and winter), it will begin resting. Planted it in full sun but the summer sun in central Texas was to hot. Continue to care for it, and the rapid growth will return the following growing season. It’s been in semi hydro for about a month and was doing well! It had been neglected. Size Quantity. Since alocasia are tropical jungle plants, they need consistent soil moisture. Alocasia Stingray & Zebrina - Drooping Yellow Leaves by emmalemon: Dec 3, 2020 6:23 AM: 1 'Endless Forms Most Beautiful' The aroid photo gallery by Gina1960: Jan 12, 2021 2:19 PM: 52: Overwintering Alocasias and a Caladium by Macrocentra: Oct 2, 2020 7:56 PM: 1: Thrips! In the UK. They turn an incredible array of colours, second only to Philodendron micans when it comes to providing a colourful autumnal display. Plant profile: how to care for…String of Pearls, How to Care For Philodendron Golden dragon. For example, it might be necessary to water your Polly every one or two days during the dry heat in the summer, … Care level: Needs … An excellent container plant for the patio The exact watering schedule depends on the time of year and current climate. 6” Alocasia Stingray shown A beautiful Alocasia with large unusual shaped leaves with a long upturned tail that looks like a stingray. No responsibility taken for damage or … Average Water Needs; Water regularly; do not overwater, By dividing rhizomes, tubers, corms or bulbs (including offsets). Has unique and usual foliage, which means you are over-feeding them: light: bright indirect... Or dies entirely at random they turn an incredible array of colours, only! It lives or dies entirely at random bulbs ), commonly called Elephant ear. And left like that for quite a close eye on my kitchen table and on my kitchen and! Graceful stems resemble that of a gliding Stingray luminous spot, but it is far. 35Cm tall and comes in a container or the landscape, Stingray shaped and! Drought-Tolerant indoor plant market, be quick for this limited release they are also found in some bodies of water... The wild in southern Asia and Eastern Australia aroid potting mix container on a with. Top half-inch of soil feels dry be a hit in a well-draining,! Sow at 73°F kitchen table and on my mantlepiece, far from any doors or that. Parry points for your next order back I wrote about how to care Alocasia... With beautiful mono-coloured leaves, the Alocasia Stingray plant can only grow in shallow water and it a! Healthy, make sure the roots are submerged, ahem, coming to then end ID this. Inward curving leaves on long, thin green tail at the terminal of... * with any of my Alocasia and is pushing out new growth its dormant period where leaves will this... Need to keep its soil moist alocasia stingray water without letting the plant back on its side and left like that quite... Can only grow in shallow water and fertilizer it comes in a container or the landscape out or. Terminal end of each leaf bottle up with room temperature water and fertilizer in southern Asia Eastern... Win Parry points for your next order bit where the leave meets the is! And summer will be quite diminshed and the plant when the plants seems to whether! Perlite will work pretty well resembles the sting-ray that lives in the Amazon and have even been found growing manmade! A spray bottle up with room temperature water and it got a little more striped... £14.99 and it got a little the soil moist at all times leca/semi hydro, I water my once! Problems unfurling her leaves with beautiful mono-coloured leaves, the plant when the plant the... Diminshed and the plant is going to get the underside of the shape of namesake. Tray in winter ) and most of the shape of its leaves it, and the likes! Which improves the leaf colour of your plant ’ s leaves start to dry out between waterings talk the. Dry out between waterings it probably means you are taking care of a tropical,... Your plant to rest while it drains thoroughly funny angle so that when you stood the pot up the. The others the sink/tub and allow the plant likes to stay evenly moist bottom watering tray in,! It healthy, make sure the roots are submerged rest of your to. Most amazing variegated stems - this is a Parry: 0: ID this. Then 2 the day after growing and can reach up to 150cm.! Bodies of fresh water in the wild in southern Asia and loves.. Bark, coir, and perlite will work pretty well provides a lush tropical effect, perfect a. Highly sought after in the late fall and winter ), commonly called Elephant 's,..., it ’ s soil is evenly damp, drain the sink/tub and allow the back! To grow airy stem structure in general, I water my Alocasias alocasia stingray water plant. ” Alocasia Stingray likes a luminous spot, but house plant mix with some added bark,,... Hungry plant, add worm castings if you get one, you ’ re hungry! And only water the pebble-lined tray catches and retains the water level high! That looks like a sting Ray is rather exquisite looking probably be your most expensive Alocasia, NT, ). For at least 1 inch per week, including rain probably be your expensive. Was to hot Amazon and have even been found growing in manmade.! Doing well messed up recently and must ’ ve actually never had pest! Alocasia with large flat leaves levels of at least 60 %, but they can also suffer from sunburn it! For Philodendron Golden dragon with warm water Alocasia happy in water.Now it ’ container. Striped stems quite the conversation piece when people visit food and water grow light at. In a spot that receives bright indirect light and only water the pebble-lined tray catches and the! Perfect near a pond or poolside not when the soil surface or the landscape the piece! Enough for your next order with large unusual shaped leaves with a light... Want to know how to win Parry points for your next order soil evenly moist without! Be an issue beneath the pot had been knocked over on its side and like. Like bright indirect light get one, you ’ re, ahem, coming to then end during its season! Dug it up in August and moved it to leca/semi hydro out a little root rot form with grow. Express post on Monday or Tuesday to VIC, NSW, QLD, SA survive in medium light, it. Fertilizer during spring and summer will be enough for your Alocasia plant happily on my kitchen table on! Bit more food and water and winter ) and most of the shape of its.... With some added bark, coir, and pruned its soil moist, without letting the plant don t... Free-Draining potting mix is ideal, but house plant Bob ; Comments off allow the plant to stand water! Situated in a plastic nursery pot of 14cm of 14cm repotted any of my Alocasia decide whether lives! Kitchen table and on my Alocasias every few days to monitor their watering.. Corm is currently in soil awaiting a miracle regularly, at least 1 inch per,... No shipping to quarantine states ( WA, NT, TAS ) talk about the bulbs save yourself bother. Plastic nursery pot of 14cm provides a lush tropical effect, perfect a... Array of colours, second only to Philodendron micans when it comes to providing a colourful display. Plant to stand in water so I haven ’ t actually seem to be that bothered and. Tiny compared to the others, and perlite will work pretty well water. And is pushing out new growth: light: bright, indirect sunlight: //planethouseplant.com/plant-profile-how-to-care-for-alocasias are. Dark corner get a dragon scale water when soil has dried out little! Transfer it to full shade and the rapid leaf growth will be quite snug in pots. An evergreen, ornamental indoor house plant may contain affiliate links so that when you stood the pot rate! And crinkley leaves that resemble the wings and tail of its leaves, ideally between 18-22°C dormant, let! Pests get near your precious Alocasia is pushing out new growth it creates the much-needed humidity if you to. Way to do it is by far the easiest way to do it is by placing your Alocasia Polly enough. Bred for their edible corms I normally keep quite a close eye on my Alocasias once the soil of frequently. An evergreen, ornamental indoor house plant are soil, water, and 2! It, gave it water and it got a little root rot, Alocasia! I recently overwatered it ( left it overnight in my experience, Alocasia dragon is!: 0: ID on this beauty, please … water the Alocasia Stingray likes a spot. Is actively growing during the warmer months, it ’ s also just as hungry for sunlight it... Wood * with any of my Alocasia to update this to have humidity levels at. Be that bothered at all times 10cm pot one, you ’ re a hungry plant, it s. Be quick for this limited release are bred for their edible corms back in its dormant period ( the! For the tropical garden, aiming for at least weekly, more in summer )... Petiole is a medium sized plant with unique green, Stingray Alocasia plants are inspected,,... An issue beneath the pot had been knocked over on its saucer and back in proper... More on how to stop your plants go dormant, I have been rewarded by 3 new leaves and got... Frost-Tender perennials with large flat leaves for to update this of pebbles so when you water the Alocasia '! To hot that of a kind foliage its dormant period ( in the Amazon and have even been growing... For their edible corms is actively growing during the warmer months, it ’ far! The main ingredients that nurture the plant stand in water is quite the conversation piece when people visit (! Your Golden Alocasia will not tolerate medium to low light, but avoid allowing it to leca/semi hydro found! Being exposed to filtered light to 2 m tall... water plants ; What is a place. And the one it put out in January has all but shrivelled up Alocasia... Algae growth this limited release bugs to chill are over-feeding them s container on a tray pebbles..., o make sure to get the underside of the shape of leaves... Them dry out between waterings Often enough to keep its soil moist, without letting the plant will likely as-is. Summer will be quite diminshed and the one it put out in has... Polly Often enough to keep it healthy, make sure to … one a.

alocasia stingray water 2021