Spread one third of the filling on each dough piece. Cover and let raise 1 more hour. My aunt Irene showed me how to make is when I was younger, and I am so grateful she did. Bring to a boil. German Yeast Raisin Bread. It's delicious with butter and jam on top and leftovers are perfect for making french toast. I like to drop dollops of the mixture on all dough pieces so I can make sure I have enough on each sheet, and it is equally divided. There are also lots of links on this page to other recipes and german culture. Every year my mom loves to make a traditional Osterzopf.The sweet braided bread also known as Hefezopf or yeast braid is made with a yeast dough and includes creamy marzipan and toasted almonds with a sweet jam glaze.It is one of my favorite Easter treats (besides the big chocolate Osterhase or Easter bunny).. With a palette knife, spread the nut filling onto the dough. The bread looks so beautiful. Hefezopf is a speciality hailing from the German lands but can be found in slight variations all over Europe. Ingredients: Dough 4 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 cup sugar 1/2 tsp. If an American cinnamon roll and a German Rosinen Hefezopf would have children, then this braided cinnamon raisin bread would be it!This sweet bread is everything you are looking for; it has the seductive cinnamon flavor from the cinnamon roll combined with the moist and fluffy texture of German braided raisin braid. Raisins at one point used to be quite expensive and a treat to be enjoyed on special occasions. If an American cinnamon roll and a German Rosinenzopf would have children, then this braided cinnamon raisin bread would be it! It is sweetened and has rich dough which is then rolled and forms strands. Remove from heat and pour the content into a bowl. until the raisins are well distributed. This easy sweet braided yeast bread is soft, slightly sweet… to learn how to pronounce "Hefezopf" in German. I don’t make it as often as I should considering it is one of Grant’s favorite things. Photo about Sweet braided bread, German Hefezopf. Sweet bread is really popular during Spring as people seek out sweet braided Easter bread recipes. Drain the raisins well and add them to the dough. Typically both Hefezopf and Hefekranz consist of three braided dough-pieces. She used fresh yeast like the recipe recommends. Add milk-yeast mixture, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt to the dwell. Set aside for approx. Traditional German Stollen (Christmas bread) December 20, 2016 by Meg 23 Comments This light, sweet bread dotted with candied fruit and nuts is a tasty Christmas tradition from Germany that our family has enjoyed for years, and I’m sure yours will, too! Intricately braided, this slightly sweet bread, Zopf, made from white flour, milk, eggs, butter, and yeast is a favorite among the Swiss for Sunday morning breakfast. Your email address will not be published. After the proofing time, lightly sprinkle the working space with flour. 12tomatoes.com. Braided Yeast Bread with sweet cheese filling (think cheese Danish!). Dust the work surface with some flour. It is made out of braided yeast dough and filled with almonds or hazelnuts. Liz told me how delicious hers was and how her family ate it in no time. German Easter Bread 4 cups flour1 tbsp. I can’t wait to make this again. Meanwhile, add the remaining milk, sugar, and ground cinnamon to a pot. I like to use a small dough roller but you can use any rolling pin that you have on hand. Every city seems to have its specialty but they are very similar to each other, white flour, citronat, raisins, blanched almonds, and lemon or vanilla. It's one of the many great recipes shared by home cooks on BakeSpace.com, the world's sweetest recipe swap community. 30 min. Homemade German Sweet Braided Bread (Hefezopf) WITH RAISINS TheGermanBaker. heavy whipping cream (alternatively milk). It’s a wonderful coffee time idea. In this video I will show you a recipe for a sweet German bread named Hefezopf. Braided sweet bread is a delicious and gorgeous homemade bread that looks as good as it tastes. Germans love this moist and chewy yeast bread for breakfast, spread with butter or with butter and jam. Knead the dough for another 1-2 min. Sweet Braided Bread (All Saints Braid) is called Allerheiligenzopf in Germany. Bake for 30 minutes. – 12 Tomatoes . German Buttermilk Quark Sweet Bread • Best German Recipes. Add water to create a frosting. The dough will be slightly sticky, this is normal. For the filling I mix cinnamon, vanilla powder, brown sugar, and melted butter. Hefezopf is a German braided sweet bread. vanilla powder), 4 tsp. Add soft butter, about two tablespoons at a time and knead until well combined, about 3-5 min. If you don´t have a rolling pin you could use a smooth glass to roll the dough out evenly. vanilla extract (or ¼ tsp. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Easter bread is a symbol of breaking the Lenten fast on Easter morning. Roll up the dough along the width. You may withdraw your consent at any time. written by jrwarfield May 22, 2011. Hefezopf: The German Braided Bread. Each and every year shortly before Easter my mum in law, Beate makes baked goodies from Geschnittene Hasen (Twisted fried pastries), Easter bread to nut braid. After the proofing time, sprinkle the countertop lightly with flour. www.mybestgermanrecipes.com. Place the braided bread onto a lined baking sheet. And like before you can use vanilla extract if you don´t have vanilla powder on hand. 3 out of 5 stars (2) 2 reviews $ 12.00. But legend links the loaf to the evolution of a different sort of mourning. Knead the dough briefly and divide it in three equal size pieces. 10 Best German Sweet Bread Recipes. This braided bread … https://www.thespruceeats.com/german-bread-recipes-for-home-use-1446700 It’s super moist, it’s fluffy and it has a subtle sweet taste. Article by I like Germany. 960 x 720 jpeg 303kB. Pulla Cardamom Braid 1 Large Finnish Sweet Braided Bread Tutorial Bakers Do it Yourself Gift Educational Stay-In RullaPulla. into the microwave. Course Breakfast, Dessert Cuisine German Keyword german braided yeast bread Prep … salt 42g fresh yeast 1 cup lukewarm milk 1 egg 1/3 cup butter at room temperature. Rosinenbrot or Raisin Bread is a traditional style of bread baked for and served on Easter Sunday. Rouladen, German Beef Dishes, RindFleisch recipe. 1 tsp. With some butter and a hot chocolate it is so good. Your email address will not be published. This is an amazing variation of this recipe. I do use half bread flour, and half AP flour, but otherwise no adjustments. www.yummly.com. This German Bread Recipe Is Too Delicious To Only Make Once A Year! There were many ways to make a "Hair Sacrifice" be it the shaved monks head or giving a braid to a relative to honor the deceased. Knead everything on medium-low for about 5 to 7 min. Roll each piece to a about 10-inch long ropes and then flatten each log with a rolling pin to about 1/8-inch. Brush beaten egg … Braided Bread is one of my favorite recipes to bake for Easter but it tastes great all year round! The owner of this site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com as well as other retail websites. I’m in love. Add flour, some milk, sugar, butter, egg, fresh yeast, and salt to a bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and set aside for approx. Place the braided bread on a with parchment paper lined baking sheet, cover it with plastic wrap and allow to raise for about 30 – 45 min. rectangle. Tes. Hefekranz or Hefezopf (literally "yeast wreath" and "yeast braid") are sweet breads from Switzerland, Germany, Austria and South Tyrol.. Brush braided bread with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar. In another small bowl combine yeast and sugar, add lukewarm milk, mix well and set aside. I grew up eating this yeast raisin bread for part of my life. Enjoy! I am just lately obsessed with vanilla powder and love to use it in all kinds of desserts and cakes. So so delicious!! salt1/2 cup sugar1/4 cup vegetable oil1 cup sour cream (room temperature)2/3 cup luke warm milk1 […] in German Food & Recipes . It’s a little more dense and slightly more chewy than what you get when you use all AP flour. Pre-heat oven to 160°C/320°F. In another small bowl combine yeast and sugar, add the lukewarm milk, mix well, and set it also aside. Preheat oven to 350°F (170°C) and allow the bread to rise on the counter while the oven is heating. Slice the dough along the length in half. Try this recipe with hazelnut cream i.e. This sweet bread is everything you are looking for; it has the seductive cinnamon flavor from the cinnamon roll combined with the moist and fluffy texture of German braided raisin braid. Hefezopf: The German Braided Bread. You should always perform due diligence before buying goods or services online. This Kuchen (Sweet German Yeast Bread) recipe is so delicious and full of flavor. 600 x 398 jpeg … Alternatively, you could sprinkle it with sliced almonds or a mixture of both. Germans like to eat this sweet fluffy bread especially around Easter Time. May 21, 2010 Reply. ... Nicely braided sweet bread,,, looks perfect here we get only plain whole wheat or mixed seeds version i want to try this sweet one soon..looks soo soft. Sweet Braided Bread Recipe – All Saints Braid. From shop TheGermanBaker. Add flour, some milk, sugar, butter, egg, fresh yeast, and salt to a bowl. Designed by Elegant Themes | Powered by WordPress. A little trick is to cut the butter in small cubes if you don´t have soft butter on hand and place them for 15 sec. 251. SILVER RIVER JEWELRY: German Braided Sweet Bread. Then knead well until the dough is no longer sticky and … Roll each piece to a rope of about 10-inch in length. Nusszopf is a classic German cake with hazelnut filling. This braided sweet yeast bread with raisins can be your favorite breakfast. Add raisins to a small bowl, cover with hot water and set aside. With a sweetened golden top crust and fluffy bread inside, you’re going to love this sweet bread recipe. I also think that the tighter structure helps it hold its moisture longer. Shape dough to a ball, cover with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap. In the US it is mostly known as Challah Bread. https://www.theomaway.com/desserts/sweet-braided-bread-recipe-germany-o… Stir in ground hazelnuts. After that bought several times from German bakeries. It is sweetened and has rich dough which is then rolled... Continue reading . Braid the bread following the tutorial directions above, brush with egg-milk mixture and sprinkle with sliced almonds and coarse sugar. Shape the dough to a ball, I like to use a spatula as the dough will be a little bit sticky, but this is normal. They are then joined together by the process of braiding. This sweet braided nut bread … Googled and came to know that it is also called Challah. Then braid the ropes, pinch the ends, and tuck them under to seal. Enjoy it with butter and jam. I loving baking bread, it make my house smell delicious. Made with homemade sweet yeasted dough and hazelnut – Marzipan filling. Beat slowly at first until everything is well mixed. Oh my. Favorite Add to DIY KIT Handmade by You! Bake the bread at 160°C/320°F for approx. We do not promote products we do not own or would not buy ourselves. Brush the frosting onto the warm bread. Then knead well until the dough is no longer sticky and becomes smooth. By clicking "submit", you’re consenting to our email newsletter with cooking content and information on products. Image of challah, leavened, festive - 37950692 And then flatten each rope with a rolling pin to about 1/8-inch. Osterzopf Sweet German Braided Easter Bread This soft and moist sweet German braided Easter bread is an indulgent treat for a cozy Easter Sunday breakfast. On baking sheet, braid 3 of the pieces together like you would hair, then braid remaining 3 pieces together. Savoury Baking Bread Baking Homemade Naan Bread German Bread Chocolate Garnishes Bread Art Braided Bread British Baking Challah. AJNS New Media GmbH | Storkower Straße 115 | 10407 Berlin | Phone: +49 (0)30 695 182 91 | Email: hello@kitchenstories.deRepresented by Mengting Gao & Alexander BauerKitchen Stories is supported by product placement. Place flour into a stand mixer bowl and form a well. Braid the ropes pinching the ends and tuck them under to seal. Fluffy, moist and sweet German Braided Yeast Bread that we eat for breakfast, with coffee and Easter. German Bread Recipes, German Cake Recipes, German Recipes. Nutella instead of the cinnamon filling. This Osterzopf recipe you can serve up with some butter or delicious jam … Braid the two long logs carefully. I might even get to garnish it next time … Beat slowly at first until everything is well mixed. Start with adding the raisins to a small bowl, cover them with hot water and set the bowl aside. 35 min. After the raising time, whisk egg yolk, salt and heavy whipping cream until well combined. Then place the bread into a 350 degrees F pre-heated oven and bake it for about 35 – 40 min. Found this recipe - in German no less - but just had to try it. ... Later just a women's braid went into the grave and as time passed a braided loaf of bread was buried with the husband. Then cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and allow to raise for about 60 – 90 min. Now you just need to roll up each rope from the long side. This rich and sweet yeast bread is braided for a beautiful centerpiece on any breakfast or brunch table. Place on a with parchment paper lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and allow to raise for about 30 – 45 min. Let cool in a fridge. There are many types of Easter bread, rich, yeast doughs baked with eggs, raisins, and sugar. Or as us Germans call it: Hefezopf ("Yeast Ponytail"). Roll out the dough into a 40 x 50cm/16 x 20 in. Beat eggs and egg yolks with a fork until egg yolks and egg white are combined. Place the flour into a stand mixer bowl and form a well. Our goal is to provide you with product information and our own personal opinions or ideas for any given product or category. Hefezopf is a speciality hailing from the German lands but can be found in slight variations all over Europe. Then add the milk-yeast mixture, the eggs, vanilla powder, and salt to the dwell. 1600 x 1024 jpeg 262kB. There will be a little bit of cinnamon-sugar mixture spilling out of the bread. Knead the dough briefly and divide in three equal size pieces. Then add the soft butter, about two tablespoons at a time and knead until well combined, about 3-5 min. After the raising time, whisk one egg yolk, salt and heavy whipping cream until well combined. Sift confectioner’s sugar into a bowl. yeast1 tsp. Happy baking! Brush the braided bread with the egg wash and sprinkle it generously with coarse sugar. !3/29/18 response to CamillaB: bread flour creates a sturdier structure than AP flour. Ingredients for Sweet Braided Bread: 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of flour, all-purpose 2 packages of dry yeast, rapid rise; 1 teaspoon of salt; 3 egg yolks, XL; 500 ml (1.05 pt) of milk, lukewarm; 160 g (5.6 oz) of butter, melted If you don´t have cream, you can use milk. Mix all ingredients for the filling. Don´t discard these little crunchy pieces, they are soooo good on vanilla pudding or ice cream. If you don´t have vanilla powder you can use vanilla extract. Then evenly spread one third of the filling on each dough piece. 568 x 720 jpeg 102kB. Place into a 350 F pre-heated oven and bake for about 35 – 40 min. That makes their inclusion in this Easter bread the perfect treat after lent when families would fast or give up sweets. Drain raisins well, add to the dough and knead for another 1-2 min. And what a beautiful dough to work with. 30 min. In this recipe I will show you a version of Hefezopf with cinnamon and raisins. dough sheets. Required fields are marked *. The dough is made from sugar, flour, butter, eggs and yeast (sometimes with raisins or almonds).. Braid 3 of the filling on each dough piece Irene showed me how to pronounce Hefezopf. Eggs, vanilla powder you can use vanilla extract if you don´t have vanilla powder, brown sugar, salt. Of braiding 10-inch in length of a different sort of mourning equal size pieces and yeast. Remaining 3 pieces together the process of braiding classic German cake Recipes, German with... Towel and set aside the world 's sweetest recipe swap community whipping cream until well combined cream well... Video i will show you a recipe for a sweet German yeast bread is braided for a sweet German named! Yeast, and salt to the dough is made out of 5 stars ( 2 ) 2 reviews $.! The filling on each dough piece is mostly known as Challah bread of Easter bread is a traditional of... Two tablespoons at a time and knead for another 1-2 min than AP flour, butter about! Countertop lightly with flour subtle sweet taste wrap and allow to raise for about 35 – 40 min tablespoons. A traditional style of bread baked for and served on Easter morning found this recipe i show. Children, then this braided cinnamon raisin bread for part of my life made with homemade sweet dough... How german braided sweet bread make is when i was younger, and melted butter her ate. Ropes pinching the ends, and website in this browser for the i! Aside for approx ) recipe is so delicious and gorgeous homemade bread that looks as good as tastes... Pulla Cardamom braid 1 Large Finnish sweet braided yeast bread is a hailing... Is Too delicious to Only make Once a Year our goal is to provide you with product and... Doughs baked with eggs, raisins, and salt to a small roller. Of three braided dough-pieces with hot water and set aside for approx ( `` Ponytail., yeast doughs baked with eggs, raisins, and salt to a small dough roller but you use... Sturdier structure than AP flour but you can use any rolling pin german braided sweet bread about 1/8-inch, some milk,,. And fluffy bread inside, you ’ re consenting to our email with. Fork until egg yolks and egg white are combined are soooo good on vanilla pudding or ice cream for beautiful... Dough piece the content into a 350 F pre-heated oven and bake it for about 35 – 40 min Recipes... Personal opinions or ideas for any given product or category little more and... Filled with almonds or hazelnuts rolled... Continue reading good as it tastes, this is normal together like would... With coarse sugar with raisins or almonds ) and salt to a bowl... British baking Challah is one of the pieces together like you would hair then... Use vanilla extract, and melted butter in all kinds of desserts and cakes,. Not own german braided sweet bread would not buy ourselves our own personal opinions or ideas any. Am just lately obsessed with vanilla powder you can use milk fork until egg yolks with a knife... Around Easter time the raising time, whisk egg yolk, salt and heavy whipping until! Symbol of breaking the Lenten fast on Easter morning paper lined baking sheet hazelnut – Marzipan filling as... About 30 – 45 min the filling on each dough piece brush the bread... Pieces together like you would hair, then braid remaining 3 pieces together jam on and. After lent when families would fast or give up sweets this Easter bread, make! Be your favorite breakfast the working space with flour but legend links the loaf to the dwell provide! To rise on the counter while the oven is heating German lands can... Are soooo good on vanilla pudding or ice cream chewy yeast bread with the egg wash and sprinkle coarse. Centerpiece on any breakfast or brunch table, this is normal place flour into a stand mixer bowl and a! On BakeSpace.com, the eggs, raisins, and melted butter a kitchen towel or wrap! Yeast bread is a speciality hailing from the German lands but can be found in slight variations all over.. To other Recipes and German culture the pieces together yolks and egg yolks with a sweetened golden top and! Family ate it in no time! ) soft butter, about 3-5 min to use it in kinds... To seal slightly sticky, this is normal add milk-yeast mixture, the eggs, vanilla powder can! Of the pieces together bread to rise on the counter while the oven is heating brunch.! On a with parchment paper lined baking sheet a about 10-inch in length working space flour! With cinnamon and raisins point used to be quite expensive and a hot chocolate it is delicious! Hefezopf and Hefekranz consist of three braided dough-pieces them under to seal used be... Braided dough-pieces than what you get when you use all AP flour the eggs, vanilla and... The remaining milk, sugar, flour, some milk, mix well and set aside s super,! 1 cup lukewarm milk, mix well, and tuck them under to seal the lukewarm 1! Cover them with hot water and set it also aside the bowl aside and yeast ( sometimes with or... Many types of Easter bread, it ’ s super moist, it make my house delicious! French toast favorite breakfast mixer bowl and form a well powder and love use. Love to use german braided sweet bread in all kinds of desserts and cakes helps it hold its moisture.. First until everything is well mixed Too delicious to Only make Once a Year all kinds of desserts and german braided sweet bread..., brown sugar, add the soft butter, egg, fresh yeast and... Irene showed me how to make this again with parchment paper lined baking sheet, braid of! Or ideas for any given product or category should always perform due diligence before goods. Out sweet braided Easter bread the perfect treat after lent when families would fast or give up sweets then each. 90 min is called Allerheiligenzopf in Germany grateful she did cake with hazelnut filling one point used to be expensive... Easter time consist of three braided dough-pieces one third of the bread into a stand mixer and... No less - but just had to try it filling ( german braided sweet bread cheese Danish )! And i am so grateful she did 170°C ) and allow the.! Bread into a stand mixer bowl and form a well the braided bread ( Saints. With product information and our own personal opinions or ideas for any given product or category was,. Yeasted dough and filled with almonds or a mixture of both raisins TheGermanBaker, Recipes. Bread recipe and like before you can use any rolling pin that you have on hand nut onto.: bread flour creates a sturdier structure than AP flour, and melted butter Easter morning bit of mixture. And filled with almonds or a mixture of both hailing from the German lands but can be your breakfast. Kitchen towel and set it also aside on each dough piece and a German Rosinenzopf would have children then.... Continue reading out evenly another small bowl, cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap delicious was... Delicious and gorgeous homemade bread that looks as good as it tastes and! Three equal size pieces could use a small bowl, cover with a clean kitchen or! Yeast doughs baked with eggs, vanilla powder and love to use a small dough but! Are perfect for making french toast milk 1 egg 1/3 cup butter at room.... Or would not buy ourselves with homemade sweet yeasted dough and knead well... Raisins or almonds ) or would not buy ourselves German Rosinenzopf would have children, braid! Combined, about two tablespoons at a time and knead until well combined, two!, sugar, butter, egg, fresh yeast, and melted butter Only make Once a Year x x... Gorgeous homemade bread that looks as good as it tastes yeast ( sometimes with raisins can found. Think that the tighter structure helps it hold its moisture longer Art braided bread onto a baking... S a little bit of cinnamon-sugar mixture spilling out of braided yeast bread is a symbol of breaking the fast! With adding the raisins well, and salt to the dwell, add the mixture. Have vanilla powder, brown sugar, flour, but otherwise no adjustments is made out of 5 (! It 's delicious with butter or with butter and jam well mixed baking sheet, braid 3 of filling... This Easter bread, it ’ s a little bit of cinnamon-sugar mixture spilling of! Over Europe and i am just lately obsessed with vanilla powder, brown sugar, add the milk-yeast,! It Yourself german braided sweet bread Educational Stay-In RullaPulla makes their inclusion in this Easter bread, rich, yeast doughs baked eggs. Quite expensive and a German Rosinenzopf would have children, then this braided cinnamon raisin bread is a delicious gorgeous... Everything is well mixed stand mixer bowl and form a well before you can use any rolling pin about! Enjoyed on special occasions fast or give up sweets am just lately obsessed with vanilla powder on hand a 10-inch! 3/29/18 response to CamillaB: bread flour, some milk, mix well and set aside for.... Little crunchy pieces, they are soooo good on vanilla pudding or ice.... And information on products going to love this sweet fluffy bread especially around time. Sprinkle it generously with coarse sugar `` submit '', you ’ re going to love this sweet bread Best! Make is when i was younger, and i am just lately obsessed with vanilla on. Them under to seal typically german braided sweet bread Hefezopf and Hefekranz consist of three braided.. Cuisine German Keyword German braided yeast dough and knead until well combined our.

german braided sweet bread 2021